Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Justified Complaints or the Pussification of America?


ABC News:

Cruel and abusive or simply tough love? That has been the continuing controversy surrounding author Amy Chua.

Her self-proclaimed mantra, laid out in her bestselling book, "Battle Hymn of a Tiger Mother," includes telling her daughters no play dates, no sleepovers, no school plays; and no whining about no school plays.

So before you read this, don't be lazy and go read the full ABC article so you know what the fuck I'm talking about. If you want to be lazy, and if you're reading this blog you probably aren't successful enough to imply that you're not a lazy asshole, here is the background: This Chinese lady Amy Chua wrote a book on how Chinese mothers are different (no shit) and in her opinion better than American mothers. This book has taken some serous backlash, because quite frankly America is a nation full of pussies, just like Ed Rendell said. Personally, I have never read Chua's book. Probably because my American parents spoiled me with television, video games, and sleepovers when I was a child so now I'm 22, barely graduating college, illiterate, degenerate, and blogging for the entertainment of the 6 other illiterate degenerates who read this crap. In any event, from what a gather, Chua is dead on with her book. She makes her kids strive for perfection, and if they don't give it their all she doesn't pat them on the back and tell them it's okay, she tells them to fuck off and put forth a better effort next time. Listen, I've been through Prep School and a fairly prestigious liberal arts college, and looking back on it all the only reason I didn't have straight A's in high school was laziness. I did quite well in high school, graduating with what would translate to around a 3.7-3.9 GPA. But who can honestly say high school s hard? It's not. If you don't have a 4.0 in high school you aren't giving it your best effort and that is a fact. I don't care how prestigious or advanced your high school is or was. College is a different story, and I don't really feel like getting into it.

Overall, I get the impression that Chua is somewhat over-the-top with her strict style of parenting, but I guarantee you her kids will be successful as shit when they grow up. Maybe Americans shouldn't completely cut out sleepovers and video games, but we definitely need to start raising our kids a little more like the old days. If we don't the Chinese are going to take over the world. And that's a fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment